Watch: Chef Jonathan Nguyen from Le Boucan Smokehouse stopped by the Morning News to show her a few delicious camping food recipes.
MONTREAL- You don’t have to sacrifice your taste buds and appetite when you go out camping.
That’s what Chef Jonathan Nguyen with Le Boucan Smokehouse says.
On the Morning News, he shared some simple recipes to prepare delicious meals when you’re out in the wild.
BREAKFAST : French toast with apple-maple coulis
French toast with an apple-maple coulis
French toast with an apple-maple coulis
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Ingredients for the French Toast
8 Slices of bread
250 ml milk
30 ml Sugar
1 L of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal , crushed
8 knobs of butter
Ingredients for the Apple-Maple Coulis
2 apples diced in cubes
500 ml maple syrup
60 ml of butter
Directions Apple-maple coulis:
On medium heat, melt the butter into the pan.
Once the butter is melted, add the apples and maple syrup.
Stir every once in a while, cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
Set aside to rest.
Directions French toast:
In a bowl, add the eggs, milk, and sugar, beat with a whisk vigorously.
Soak the bread in the egg mixture for 10 seconds per side, removing any excess.
Cover bread slices with cinnamon cereal.
In a non-stick pan, over medium heat, melt a knob of butter.
Once melted, place each piece of toast in the pan and cook until golden brown and crispy (approx. 2 mins per side).
Plate up each piece of French toast with a couple spoonfuls of the apple-maple coulis.
LUNCH: Porc Banh mi (Vietnamese style submarine sandwich)
Porc Banh mi
Porc Banh mi
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
150 ml Sauce Hoisin sauce
8 crushed garlic cloves
4 10inch submarine sandwich buns
16 pieces of pork belly
Handful of honeydew melon roughly chopped, ¼ inch thickness
Small red chilies (add to taste), finely chopped
Put all the ingredients of the marinade in a bowl and mix well together.
Add the pork belly slices and make sure that they are evenly coated with spices.
Let sit for at least one hour to marinate.
On medium to low heat, cook the pork belly slices in the pan until golden brown (2-4 minutes per side).
In each bun, add the mayo, hoisin sauce and 4 slices of pork, the pieces of honeydew melon, coriander and a sprinkle of chili peppers.
WATCH ABOVE: Russian President Vladimir Putin met with his Security Council this morning and says he will use his influence to insure a full and proper investigation. But not everyone is buying it. Susan McGinnis has the story.
Senior U.S. intelligence officials have no evidence of direct Russian government involvement in the crashU.S. President Barack Obama assures Dutch people that that the U.S. will aid them in bringing those responsible to justice. The Netherlands lost 193 citizens in the crash.EU imposes new sanctions against Russian officials Russian President Vladimir Putin says Moscow will do everything in its power to facilitate the investigation into last week’s Malaysia Airlines passenger jet crash.There are charges that Russian-backed rebels in eastern Ukraine have tampered with the wreckage.The remains of the victims of the Malaysia Airlines crash arrived in territory held by the Ukrainian government on Tuesday on their way to the Netherlands.
BRUSSELS, Belgium – The European Union agreed Tuesday to impose new sanctions against officials deemed responsible for Russia’s actions in Ukraine, amid mounting international anger after a Malaysia Airlines plane was shot down over rebel-held territory.
European foreign ministers stopped short, at least for now, of more forceful sanctions that would hit full sectors of the Russian economy.
Story continues below
Flight MH17: Crash victim’s father pens heartbreaking open letter
Flight MH17: Rebels release train carrying bodies, hand over black boxes
Malaysia Airlines waives change fees in light of MH17 crash
Flight MH17: UN approves resolution demanding access to crash site
Flight MH17: Obama demands investigators be allowed access to crash site
The decision came soon after bodies of those killed in the crash reached Ukrainian government-controlled territory, leaving a war zone en route to the Netherlands after delays and haphazard treatment that put pressure on the Europeans to inflict tougher pressure on Russia.
The crash last week in eastern Ukraine has heightened diplomatic tensions over the conflict in Ukraine and focused anger at Russia, from Washington to EU headquarters in Brussels to Malaysia. But Russian President Vladimir Putin remained combative Tuesday, lashing out at Ukraine’s military Tuesday for trying to dislodge the rebels.
WATCH: Trains carrying victims’ remains arrives in Ukraine-held city as key pieces of evidence are handed over to Malaysian officials.
The EU agreed to impose visa bans and asset freezes on more Russian officials, Dutch Foreign Minister Frans Timmermans said. He did not say how many officials were targeted or reveal their names.
He said the ministers also asked the 28-nation bloc’s executive arm to prepare for more sweeping sanctions – including targeting the arms, energy and financial sectors – if Russia fails to back down from destabilizing Ukraine.
“Russia has not done enough to contribute to a de-escalation of the conflict,” German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said.
The crash site itself, in farmland held by the pro-Russian separatists whom the West accuses of shooting down the plane, remained unsecured five days after the disaster – another source of frustration for officials around the world eager to establish what happened.
READ MORE: Crash victim’s father pens heartbreaking open letter
After a 17-hour journey from the town of Torez in rebel territory, the train carrying the bodies pulled into a station in Kharkiv, a government-controlled city where Ukrainian authorities have set up their crash investigation centre. The train gave a low-pitched blast from its horn as the grey corrugated refrigerator cars slowly rolled through weed-choked tracks onto the grounds of a factory where the bodies were being received.
Government spokesman Oleksander Kharchenko said Ukraine “will do our best” to send the bodies to the Netherlands on Tuesday. Of the 298 people who died aboard the Amsterdam-to-Kuala Lumpur flight, 193 were Dutch citizens.
READ MORE: UN approves resolution demanding access to crash site
But Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte says his government aims to have the first bodies returned on Wednesday. “It is our aim – and at the moment our expectation – that sometime tomorrow the first plane carrying victims will leave for Eindhoven,” he said.
Rutte said that the identification of some bodies will be quick. But he has warned grieving families of victims of Thursday’s crash that the identification of some others could take “weeks or even months.”
WATCH: Raw video of Malaysian investigators visiting crash site for first time
In Brussels, European Union foreign ministers were discussing Tuesday what action to take response to the disaster. Europe and the United States have imposed targeted economic sanctions against Russia for supporting Ukraine’s five-month insurgency that began after pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych was ousted by protesters in February.
In Moscow, Putin said Russia would do “everything in its power” to facilitate the investigation including putting pressure on the rebels. But he said that “was not enough” to resolve the situation. During a meeting with Russia’s Security Council, he again criticized Kyiv for its military offensive to dislodge the rebels.
Putin again challenged the legitimacy of the Ukrainian government, saying, “people came to power in an armed, anti-constitutional way.”
“Yes, after the coup there were elections, but strangely, for some reason, those who either financed or carried out that coup became leaders of the government,” he said.
WATCH: The Dutch foreign minister said the EU is imposing sanctions against officials deemed responsible for Russia’s actions in Ukraine.
Yanukovych was declared removed by vote of parliament after fleeing the country. A special election was held May 25 to replace him, won by candy company owner Petro Poroshenko.
The rebels control a swathe of territory in two eastern provinces, and have battled Ukrainian troops with heavy weapons including tanks and missile launchers that the West says came from Russia. Russia denies supporting the insurgency.
Sanctions so far have focused on individuals instead of entire sectors of Russia’s economy, though the EU was moving already to broaden them before the downing of the plane. British Prime Minister David Cameron said Monday that the jet’s destruction has drastically changed the situation, and that the Russians cannot expect continued access to European markets and capital if they continued to fuel a war against another European country.
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin said in Brussels on Tuesday that “it’s about bold actions from the European Union, not just about sanctions.”
WATCH:After four days, the bodies of 298 people on board have finally been collected. They’ve been loaded into refrigerated rail cars and are being transported to eventually be identified. But there’s international outrage over the way rebels handled the remains and contaminated the crime scene. Mike Armstrong reports.
He insisted that the insurgency is made up of members “of Russian security services, who were trained with Russian money with Russian weapons to destabilize the eastern Ukraine and at the end of the day, the whole Ukraine.”
“If it succeeds, it will be a blow for the whole continent,” he said.
Lithuanian Foreign Minister Linas Linkevicius blamed “terrorists supplied by Moscow” for shooting down the airliner, killing all aboard. He called for an arms embargo, in a direct challenge to France, which is building two warships for the Russian navy.
©2014The Canadian Press
TORONTO – Six South American soccer players are refusing to return to Ukrainian football club FC Shakhtar Donetsk amid the ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine.
Brazilian stars Douglas Costa, Dentinho, Fred, Alex Teixiera, Ismaily, along with Argentine forward Facundo Ferreyra, stayed behind in France after the club played a friendly match against Olympique Lyon on Saturday.
Story continues below
READ MORE: Bodies from downed jetliner piled in boxcars, West condemns crash site tampering
Shakhtar Donetsk’s owner Rinat Akhmetov released a statement on the team’s website threatening the players with financial penalties if they do not return.
“Players have contracts that they have to abide by. If they do not come, I think, they will be the first to suffer,” Akhmetov said in the statement. “Each of them has a minimum release clause, which is tens of millions of euros. If someone wants to reduce this amount by a million, then such a decision is our right. There won’t be [a]clearance sale!”
Donetsk has been at the centre of the recent conflict between Ukraine’s military and pro-Russian rebels, who are battling for control of the city.
Akhmetov says despite not being allowed to play in Donetsk stadium the team is ready to provide security and will not bring players to dangerous places.
The Ukrainian Premier League season starts this Friday. The two teams have left the league reducing it from from 16 teams to 14 after two Crimean clubs withdrew after last season following Russia’s annexation of the peninsula.
The Ukrainian Football Federation has yet to decide where FC Shakhtar Donetsk will play its home games during the ongoing conflict.
Last week a Malaysia Airlines flight was shot down near the pro-Russian separatist controlled region of east Donetsk.
UPDATE: Narinder Kalsi, who was brutally assaulted in her Surrey home more than a week ago, has now died. She was taken off life support yesterday afternoon according to IHIT. The homicide team has modified the charges against Narinder’s husband, who was charged with attempted murder, to second degree murder.
VANCOUVER — The president of a Surrey temple is now facing charges of attempted murder after his wife was taken to hospital on Sunday in serious condition, according to the Surrey RCMP.
66-year-old Baldev Singh Kalsi is the president of the Brookside Sikh Temple. He was previously facing assault charges, but they were upgraded to attempted murder on Tuesday afternoon.
Aggravated Assault charges for Baldev Singh KALSI have now been upgraded to Attempt Murder. Hard work done by #IHIT
— IHIT (@HomicideTeam) July 15, 2014
Authorities received a call at around noon Sunday that a woman was in distress at a home in South Surrey, near 194 Street and 32 Avenue.
When they arrived to the scene, they found the woman with life threatening injuries.
She was transported to the hospital by a British Columbia Air Ambulance.
Authorities say she is currently on life support.
Kalsi will appear in court July 16, 2014 in Surrey. IHIT has taken over the investigation.
WATCH: A strong field led by 16 Canadians including Graham DeLaet tee it up at Royal Montreal this week
With a date following the British Open and just ahead of the PGA Championship, the RBC Canadian Open at times struggles to lure the best players in the world to Canada.
Story continues below
Live coverage of the 2014 RBC Canadian Open
Top players, course the lure for fans as RBC Canadian Open returns to Montreal
That hasn’t really changed this year with the announcement of the tournament’s field, but there are still enough stars – from World No. 5 ranked golfer Matt Kuchar to bomber Dustin Johnson, as well as Canadians Graham DeLaet and Mike Weir – coming to Royal Montreal Golf Club this year to make the tournament compelling for spectators.
The RBC gang: Jim Furyk, Luke Donald, Graeme McDowell, Hunter Mahan, Matt Kuchar and Ernie Els
RBC, the key sponsor of the Canadian Open, decided a few years ago that the easiest way of luring players to Canada for the tournament the week after the British Open was to enter into deals with them to make the golfers part of “Team RBC.”
That means you’ll see British star and former World No. 1 Luke Donald, multiple major winner Ernie Els and Matt Kuchar – the top-ranked player in the world – show up in Montreal.
Tour stars: Dustin Johnson, Charl Schwartzel
Could Dustin Johnson’s second appearance in Canada have something to do with his relationship status? Johnson is engaged to Paulina Gretzky, the daughter of “The Great One,” hockey legend Wayne Gretzky. He had a near miss at Glen Abbey last year when he held a share of the lead on the 17th hole, but couldn’t close the deal. Royal Montreal should set up well for Johnson, one of the longest hitters on the PGA Tour.
Schwartzel, the 2011 Masters winner from South Africa, has also made a few appearances in Canada. He’s also among the top-ranked players who will tee it up in Montreal.
The Canadians: Mike Weir, Graham DeLaet, David Hearn, Stephen Ames, Brad Fritsch
Both Graham DeLaet and David Hearn played this past week in Liverpool at the British Open. Hearn made the cut while DeLaet’s struggles in golf’s major championships continue. They’ll be among a large contingent of Canadians at Royal Montreal.
Others to watch for include amateur Taylor Pendrith, PGA Tour Canada star Mike Gligic and mid-am champ from Victoria, Kevin Carrigan, who works as a financial consultant.
Notables: John Daly, Vijay Singh
Troubled John Daly remains one of the most noted names in golf, despite the fact he hasn’t been a competitive player in years. However, Daly did have one of his best tournaments on the PGA Tour in nearly a decade when he contended at Shaughnessy in Vancouver three years ago.
On the other hand you have previous Canadian Open winner Vijay Singh, who beat Mike Weir in a playoff in 2004. Singh now plays part-time on the Champions Tour, which features golf’s stars over the age of 50, and is involved in a high-profile lawsuit with the PGA Tour over allegations he used a banned substance last year.
What: RBC Canadian OpenWhen: Practice rounds start Monday; tournament starts ThursdayWhere: Royal Montreal Golf Club, 25 South Ridge Road , Ile Bizard, QuebecTelevision: Pre-game show on Global Television at 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. July 26-27 – Tournament coverage follows until 6 p.m.Online: Complete coverage on Globalnews桑拿按摩