ABOVE: UN Security Council President comments on the emergency Isreal/Gaza session of the Security Council
The U.N. Security Council emerged from an emergency session late Sunday on the worsening situation in Gaza expressing “serious concern” about the rising civilian death toll and demanding an immediate end to the fighting.
Story continues below
The council met at the request of Jordan, which proposed a more strongly worded draft resolution for consideration. The resolution, obtained by The Associated Press, expressed “grave concern” at the high number of civilians killed in Gaza, including children, and called for an immediate cease-fire, “including the withdrawal of Israeli occupying forces from the Gaza Strip.”
READ MORE: Hamas claims kidnapping of Israeli soldier in deadliest day of offensive
The first major ground battle in two weeks of Israel-Hamas fighting on Sunday killed at least 65 Palestinians and 13 Israeli soldiers and forced thousands of terrified Palestinian civilians to flee their neighbourhoods.
U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon has called Israel’s latest incursion “atrocious,” and said it must do far more to protect civilians.
The draft resolution called for the protection of civilians, the lifting of the “Israeli restrictions imposed on the movement of persons and goods into and out of the Gaza Strip” and immediate humanitarian assistance to civilians in Gaza.
But Jordan’s proposed resolution was not discussed, and the acting council president, Rwanda’s U.N. Ambassador Eugene-Richard Gasana, emerged to read elements of a more limited press statement that called for the need to improve the humanitarian situation in the region and welcome Egypt’s efforts to broker a cease-fire.
The Palestinian United Nations envoy, Ambassador Riyad Mansour, was disappointed. “We were hoping for the Security Council to adopt a resolution to condemn the aggression against our people,” he told reporters. But he said Sunday’s council statement was “a test” for Israel to see if it would comply.
READ MORE: Death toll reaches 501 in Gaza as diplomatic efforts step up
Before the meeting, Mansour issued a challenge to the council, asking reporters, “If the world body in charge of peace and security is not stopping the killing of our people, where shall we go?”
Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin stepped out of the meeting briefly and complained to reporters that the council had been summoned to meet without a specific proposal to discuss.
“Why have this meeting?” Churkin asked. “The Security Council is put in a very awkward position. Obviously, nothing is going to come out of it.”
After the meeting, the U.S. ambassador to the U.N., Samantha Power, tweeted: “Gaza ceasefire would let us address urgent humanitarian needs & underlying issues. Must work to get off this dangerous path & restore calm.”
©2014The Associated Press
WATCH ABOVE: Toronto Honda Indy held two races on Sunday due to weather conditions on Saturday causing some issues for race car drivers. Cindy Pom reports.
TORONTO – Mike Conway was the surprise winner of a collision-filled second race at the Honda Indy Toronto.
Conway, a road- and street-course specialist, went to the pits early for new tires then stayed out on course as the leaders pitted to put him in position to win the 11-turn, 2.81-kilometre race at Exhibition Place on Sunday.
Story continues below
A collision returned cars to pit lane under a red flag with under five minutes to go after the race was changed from 65 laps to a timed, 80-minute event.
When the race resumed all Conway needed to do was hit the throttle and take the checkered flag after starting 11th on the grid.
WATCH: Fan Friday gives all race fans a chance to check out the Honda Indy Toronto
Tony Kanaan finished second while Will Power was third.
The win is Conway’s second of the season after he finished first at Long Beach in April, and the fourth of his career.
Sebastien Bourdais won the opening race from the pole for his first IndyCar victory in six years. Overall points leader Helio Castroneves finished second, followed by Kanaan.
Bourdais also previously won in Toronto in 2004. Prior to Sunday his last victory was in the now defunct Champ Car series in 2007 at Mexico City.
Both races were held Sunday after rain Saturday postponed the first race of a planned weekend doubleheader.
The afternoon race featured a standing start, which is rare for IndyCar. Justin Wilson’s stalled start was the only blip, although a yellow flag was waved before the opening lap was completed when Kanaan lost power heading into a corner.
Everything went well through the first 11 laps. But then, once again, the rain began to fall.
Canadian James Hinchcliffe, Juan Pablo Montoya and Mikhail Aleshin were the first victims of the wet surface. Montoya slid into a corner and Aleshin followed by wedging underneath Montoya. Hinchcliffe slid into the tire barrier in the same corner but had to wait for safety crews to pull Montoya’s car off Aleshin.
WATCH: Race Trucks take flight at the Honda Indy Toronto
The incident wiped out any hope Hinchcliffe had of winning a race that has caused him nothing but heartache during his four-year IndyCar career. The Oakville, Ont., native finished 18th in the afternoon after settling for eighth place in the morning, which matched his career best in Toronto.
More spins followed as cars tried to adjust to the suddenly wet track.
Castroneves held his lead, helped out by Power’s inability to make a pass on the slick corners. Drivers appeared hesitant to overtake – just staying in one piece because the priority.
But Power finally made his move on Lap 43. His car danced around the outside of Castroneves on a corner, although another yellow flag kept him from opening up a gap. Meanwhile, away from the action, Conway went to the pits early to get on fresh tires as the track dried.
Power held his advantage when the leaders went to the pits for a tire change, but several drivers including Conway stayed out on track to move to the front of the grid.
Conway took the lead on Lap 51, while Castroneves dropped off the pace. Conway benefited from yet another delay when another collision collected several cars including Ryan Hunter-Reay and triggered a red flag.
Castroneves, who led 32 laps of the race, finished 12th.
©2014The Canadian Press
TORONTO – Melky Cabrera answered a Texas comeback with a solo homer in the seventh inning and singled home two more runs in the eighth to give the Toronto Blue Jays a wild 9-6 win over the Rangers on Sunday afternoon.
Cabrera gave the Jays a 6-5 lead when he sent reliever Neftali Feliz’s third pitch of the day deep to centre field to open the home half of the seventh. It was the left-fielder’s 12th home run of the season, delighting the crowd of 36,011 on a 23-degree day with the roof open and then closed at Rogers Centre.
Story continues below
One inning later, Munenori Kawasaki made it 7-5 with an RBI single after Toronto loaded the bases with one out on three singles. Then Cabrera slammed a single to right-centre to bring home Anthony Gose and Jose Reyes.
Left-hander Brett Cecil, coming on in the eight with no outs and a man on second, snuffed out a Rangers threat.
Closer Casey Janssen, recovered from a stomach ailment, gave up three hits and a run in a nervous ninth and was replaced by Aaron Loup with two outs and men on first and second. The left-hander finally ended it by inducing former Jay J.P. Arencibia to pop out on a 3-and-2 pitch for his fourth save.
READ MORE: Bud Selig can see Montreal major league baseball bid
Toronto outhit Texas 15-12.
Jays starter Mark Buehrle went six innings in his eighth unsuccessful attempt to record a win since June 1.
Todd Redmond (1-4) got the win while Feliz (0-1) was tagged with the loss.
Toronto (51-49) has won seven of the last eight completed series against Texas (39-59) at Rogers Centre.
Down 5-2, the Rangers had rallied for three runs in the sixth to tie the score as the bottom of the order loaded the bases. A Buehrle balk, that saw the pitcher literally fall off the mound as he lost his footing throwing, and a Daniel Robertson two-RBI single made it a whole new ball game.
Robertson, filling in for the injured Alex Rios, drove in four of Texas’ five runs.
Earlier, catcher Dioner Navarro homered for Toronto and Reyes drove in two runs with a bases-loaded single in a game that saw both teams with plenty of chances to keep the scoreboard turning over.
It was a no-decision for Buehrle, who has posted an 0-5 record in his last eight outings to drop his record to 10-6. And this after reaching the 10-win mark faster than ever before in his career.
He gave up five runs on eight hits with five strikeouts and three walks in his 449th consecutive start, the longest active streak in the majors.
The left-hander, who came into the game with a 13-5 record in 20 career starts against the Rangers, made life difficult for himself in the second, third and fourth by putting the leadoff man on with two walks and a single.
READ MORE: Tolleson, Reyes, Bautista help lead Blue Jays over Rays 8-5
But, two runs aside in the third, he cleaned up after himself until stepping into it again in the sixth.
Despite winning the series opener 5-1 Friday, the Rangers have been in a free fall for a while. They came into the game having lost nine of 10 and are now 2-14 in July, the fewest wins for any team in the majors.
However you stack them, the numbers are shocking. Texas has lost 16 of 18 and 24 of 28.
One explanation: Texas has used more players (51) and pitchers (30) than any other team this season. And the Rangers lead the majors in use of the disabled list (21) and current players on the DL (14). That explains the 15 rookies on the active roster.
Texas starter Nick Tepesch was coming off eight days rest for the third time in his last four starts, during which he went 1-3. He lasted 4 1/3 innings Sunday, giving up five runs on nine hits.
Buehrle faced the minimum six batters in the first two innings, using a slick pickoff move to remove Chris Gimenez after walking the first baseman.
Navarro opened the second with his sixth homer of the season, driving a 2-2 pitch into right-centre to give Toronto a 1-0 lead. One out later, Dan Johnson doubled, Steve Tolleson was hit by a pitch and Gose singled to load the bases. Reyes singled home two runs and then stole a base before being doubled off second on a Kawasaki lineout.
Texas responded in the third, putting men on second and third with no outs thanks to a single, walk and sacrifice bunt. Robertson then singled home both men with Adam Rosales beating Gose’s throw from right field to cut the lead to 3-2.
A Johnson error on an Elvis Andrus ground ball made matters worse but Buehrle put a lid on the inning with consecutive strikeouts.
A Jose Bautista walk and opposite field double by Navarro was followed by a Colby Rasmus RBI single for a 4-2 lead in the bottom of the third.
Tepesch bounced back with a 1-2-3 fourth but exited with one out in the fifth and the bases loaded from a Cabrera single, Bautista double and Rasmus walk. Right-hander Shawn Tolleson, no relation to the Jays’ Tolleson, came on and gave up a sacrifice fly to Johnson that scored Cabrera to make it 5-2.
Shawn then struck out Steve in a battle of Tollesons to end the threat.
The Rangers, helped by a successful video challenge, had men on first and second in the sixth before Cabrera made a beautiful catch in left field to deny Rosales. Rougned Odor singled to load the bases with two outs.
Buehrle’s balk brought home Geovany Soto and Robertson singled home two more.
The Jays open a four-game homestand against the Boston Red Sox on Monday.
©2014The Canadian Press
Above watch: Billy Shields reports on the many residents who came out late Saturday night to watch an example of public works that turned into a local attraction.
VAUDREUIL – Residents in the community a stone’s throw from the West Island got to see an unusual spectacle Saturday night.
A team of 9 bulldozers, backhoes and jack hammers worked in tandem to bring the old St-Charles overpass down on the eve of the summer construction holiday.
Story continues below
“Everyone was in sync with each other,” said Vaudreuil resident Patrick Fernandes, who watched it with his girlfriend, Irene Williams.
“As soon as one guy would move, everybody would move out of the way.”
Williams took photos and video of the demolition.
“My boyfriend and I were just coming home from a fishing trip, and we remembered the bridge was being demolished,” she said.
“We thought it was just going to be the two of us, and we showed up here and there was a bunch of people here to look at what was happening.”
Transport Quebec was unavailable to comment on the operation Sunday.
Workers closed off the A-40 during construction. Residents say the demolished overpass will join an existing overpass built recently to form a four-lane, two-way thoroughfare over the A-40, joining Vaudreuil-sur-la-Lac to a shopping district in Vaudreuil-Dorion.
The demolition took some residents completely by surprise.
“No kidding,” said Anne-Marie Chmilnitzky, who was walking nearby.
“Because it was there yesterday,we walked over it and now it’s not there!”
VANCOUVER – There is some relief on the way for residents and firefighters around the province.
While most of B.C. has been enjoying the hot temperatures lately, the hot and dry conditions has led to 163 fires burning in B.C. today. There are 17 fires of note.
A much needed change is on the way for many areas of the province however.
Story continues below
READ MORE: B.C. under evacuation alerts and orders due to wildfires
Global BC weather anchor Kate Gajdosik says this change will affect the regions severely affected by wildfire activity.
The first in a series of weather disturbances has already moved into Northern B.C., spreading heavy rain along the coast and showers through the Central Interior.
Through the weekend the chance for showers will move into the Southern Interior, although heavy downpours are not expected.
PHOTOS: Wildfires burning across B.C.
For the Okanagan Valley, where some of the province’s most aggressive fires are burning, there will not be significant rainfall to help fight the fires. The biggest factor in this region will be wind, which could force the spread of smoke and flames.
Gajdosik says southwesterly winds are expected to get strong and gusty through Friday afternoon and evening, with winds gusting upwards of 40 km/hr. Wind is a powerful and often unpredictable weather process, adds Gajdosik, as sometimes a slight breeze is enough to fan the flames of an out of control wildfire.
Temperatures on Friday will remain at about 28 and 29 degrees in the Okanagan and while it will cool down over the weekend, the wind from the southwest will be quite dry.
In Prince George Friday morning the smoke was so thick from nearby fires that the street lamps had to be lit again. The smoke is from the Chelaslie Fire near Tetachuk Lake, which was very active on Thursday and residents of Prince George were seeing those effects the next day. The smoke is mixed in with a rain system, bringing the first serious rain to the area for a couple of weeks.